2.7 Venue and Hospitality
The Ideal ACAP Program Venue
The decision about your chapter’s venue is one of the most important and far-reaching decisions your chapter will make, and there is much to consider. Although there are additional details, the Venue/Hospitality and Technology Teams will consider, in a nutshell, the ideal ACAP program venue:
- Is “neutral” and welcoming of all
- Avoid selecting a venue that may be perceived as exclusive/excessively expensive, neglected, unwelcoming of particular populations, etc.
- Avoid venues that may be perceived as offering the organization unfair marketing/visibility advantage (CCRCs, etc.)
- Is convenient and easy to find – facility, specific building, and rooms to be used – and will accommodate outdoor directional signage
- A portico is an added plus!
- Is centrally located within your chapter’s footprint and in a safe area (by perception and fact)
- Is barrier-free, has convenient presentation area that will accommodate 50-70, yet intimate enough for groups of 10 or fewer, and has a separate lobby for registration
- Has well-lighted, safe parking with adequate and convenient handicapped spaces
- Offers strong technology and Wi-Fi and has a microphone system that may be used
- Offers tables and chairs for attendees as well as additional tables for displays
- Has storage that you will be able to use to store materials between programs
- Will offer the space at no cost or low cost
- Will help publicize your programs
- Provides liability insurance coverage
If you know of such a facility, feel free to suggest it to your Venue/Hospitality Team.